Home . . Care and Services . . Dialysis
Rice is at the forefront of kidney care with state-of-the-art equipment and personalized care. The Dialysis Center has been open since 1966 and offers more flexible options than your standard dialysis treatment center.
We are open seven days a week with extended hours, and can accommodate working and school schedules. We can also help with your dialysis care if you are visiting or vacationing in the area.
Relax in our heated massage recliners while you watch TV, surf the internet, or drift asleep.
We are a family -- patients, spouses, children, and healthcare providers in a caring, supportive environment.
Our commitment to you
At the Dialysis Center at Rice Memorial Hospital, our professional staff provide personalized care. We are here to provide you with the attention that you need. Along with following Rice standards, we are committed to the following:
- To educate you and your family about dialysis options.
- To provide safe and efficient dialysis with the most benefit to you.
- To provide you with a friendly dialysis atmosphere
- To provide you with a comfortable setting for your dialysis
- To help you maintain a healthy lifestyle and expand your quality of life.
For more information, or to schedule an appointment for the Pre-Dialysis Education program, contact the Rice Hospital Kidney Dialysis Center at 320.231.4235.
Mary Beth Potter, RN, BAN, CHPN, CHPCA, Director of Rice Dialysis
Deb Buffington, RN, BSN, CNN, Dialysis Operations Coordinator
- Care Team
- Treatment Options
Our on-site team of highly trained, skilled, experienced and professional staff, include:
- Two Nephrologists - Dr. Eric Haugen & Dr. Carlos Franco Palacios
- Registered nurse and certified nephrology nurses
- Licensed professional nurses
- Social Worker
To begin and maintain a dialysis program for you at Rice, a team of physicians work together to provide you with the best care possible in the convenience of our rural community:
- Your primary care physician
- Vascular Access Surgeon
- Interventional Radiology
- Our Medical Director
Dialysis treatment options that may be available to you include:
- Peritoneal Dialysis - this type of dialysis is done at home and the blood is cleaned inside your body. Our access surgeon will make an access into the abdomen, and during treatment the peritoneal cavity is filled with dialysate through that access. Extra fluid and waste are drawn out of your blood and into the dialysate. Peritoneal dialysis has been available through Rice Hospital since 1989.
- Hemodialysis - one of our access surgeons will make an access into your blood vessels through minor surgery. An artificial kidney is then used to remove waste, extra chemicals and fluid from your blood and the clean blood is then circulated back into your body. Hemodialysis is an excellent outpatient program located at Rice Hospital since 1966. Treatment times are typically 5 hours or less, with the average treatment time between 3 - 4 hours.
- Kidney Transplant - your care team will talk with you and your family to decide if a transplant is right for you. Our staff will help with the referral to a kidney transplant center. Kidney transplant is a treatment, not a cure, and it is important to care for the new kidney with the same care as before receiving the transplant.
How do you know which treatment to choose?
Prior to choosing a dialysis care program, Rice offers free educational meetings for you and your family about chronic kidney disease. Our Pre-dialysis Education program discusses renal failure and the treatment options that are available to you so that you can make informed and educated decisions.
The pre-dialysis program is available to everyone. It provides time to become familiar with the different treatment options, as well as:
- Information about dialysis access (a surgical procedure to improve access to the dialysis treatment site).
- Nutritional counseling.
- Financial counseling for dialysis services.
- The opportunity to meet others already on dialysis.
- The opportunity to meet Rice Kidney Dialysis Center staff.
- A tour of our comfortable dialysis care center.
- The opportunity to meet with our nephrologist.